Clothes piling up in your wardrobe? Feel like your furniture surfaces are now storage areas? Then you’ve come to the right page. Decluttering your wardrobe for warmer months is without doubt something we all have to go through, and is best given a full afternoon rather than a quick hour. Whether you’re moving house or looking to put some belongings in self storage, spring cleaning is the first step you need to take. It can be impossible to know where to start, so we’ve come to the rescue with this practical check list of how to declutter your wardrobe.
It can take a bit of motivation to get going without decluttering ideas, so as British Poet William Morris said, “Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful”. Easier said than done when you’re attached to all your clothes…but it’s a good start.
1. You might want to split up the areas of your wardrobe first. Choose between decluttering your own or your family’s winter or summer clothes so it doesn’t become too chaotic or overwhelming to do them all at once. Remember, when you are trying to declutter your bedroom, you don’t want to fill another area with the removed belongings so create areas to sort through items first. Depending on the time you have available, start with the highest priority mess first.
2. Have some bags, boxes and labels ready for unwanted items. You may want to give clothes or other items to charity or a materials recycling point, so it’s worth having something ready which is easy to transport. You will also need them If you are looking to put clothes in self storage, our decluttering storage page will guide you with this.
3. Create a nicely presentable, clean area of the house to take photos of clothes that’s not made the cut. Selling unwanted items has never been easier with all the apps and websites created for second hand clothes. Getting some money for your old wardrobe is the best motivation to declutter, as that money can help with replacing worn items, new dress for that friend’s wedding or self storage costs.
4. Be ruthless. Have you worn that pair of jeans in the last year? Is that extra coat that gets in the way ever worn? No? Then get rid of them. Be realistic with what you will use in the next year. If the item is something you wish to save for your children or for a future occasion, vacuum pack it carefully in a protective cover or consider self storage to reduce clutter. We offer self storage in London that can cover all personal storage needs.
5. Once you’ve finished your ultra-satisfying, space creating declutter, a clever idea is to re-order what you have chosen to keep to make it more accessible. Group clothes by category or colours so it saves you time in the morning before work. Decluttering your wardrobe is also wise if you’re moving house as you’ll have less things to pack and spend less money on moving house boxes.
Congratulations on your new found, clutter free wardrobe! Still struggling with where to put any extra items before a house move, or considering clothes storage? Then take a look at our excellent 24hr access, flexible self storage London facilities.
Squeezing your worldly possessions into the loft is never an easy feat. No matter how large the loft...
11 Sep 2020