With over 18.8 million posts with the #mentalhealthawareness hashtag on Instagram (as of 10/10/2022), you know the topic is finally getting the attention it requires. This is crucial, especially after the rollercoaster of a time we’ve had with the pandemic and everything that resulted from it. On the bright side however, this has brought everybody’s mental health into sharp focus.
World Mental Health Day is celebrated on the 10th of October, the day is observed annually with the overall objective of raising awareness and breaking down the stigma of mental health issues around the world. As experts in the storage industry, we would like to contribute to this day by discussing the ways we can help you maintain a clear mind by clearing the space around you.
Did you know that having clutter accumulating in your homes could be affecting your mental health? In fact a study at UCLA Centre on Everyday Lives and Families (CELF) identified a direct link between the levels of stress in a household and the clutter they had accumulated. CELF’s researchers found:
- A link between high cortisol levels (which is a stress hormone) in female homeowners and a high density of household objects
- Women associated a tidy home with having a happy and successful family.
- Families that want to reduce clutter often feel emotionally paralyzed because of the sentimental value attached to their stuff or believe their things may have hidden monetary value.
Did you ever stop to think that all the extra stuff taking up space in your homes could be affecting your mental health this much? Well don’t worry, there’s nothing a good declutter and little organisation can’t fix. Need the motivation?
1) Reduces stress: We’ve already learnt how the accumulation of clutter around the house can negatively impact our stress levels. Having a clear out will therefore help you feel calmer and better about your surroundings. We understand that it can be hard to part with things that have a sentimental value but that’s where our self storage solutions come handy. You don’t need to completely dispose of your things, just store them away in a storage unit near you to clear up space in your home.
2)Improves concentration: You will be able to finally focus on what’s important without being distracted by all the excess stuff around you. Attic Self Storage offers different size units, so whether you’re looking to declutter a room to convert it into a workspace or if you’re looking to tidy up the entire house, we have a room big (or small) enough for your things.
3)Increases productivity: Once you’re through your “to sort out” list you will have the time, energy and right mind and environment to crack on with your “to-do list”. We offer all our customers complimentary 24 hour access, so if by chance items on your list get mixed up, you can come collect whatever you need from your easy to access self storage unit any time of the day/week.
4) Sense of accomplishment: Clutter can quickly and unexpectedly accumulate and take over our homes but taking back control, although not impossible, can be easily put off for a later date. Not sure about everyone else, but all that extra stuff that needs getting rid of acts as a constant reminder that I’m a procrastinator and the only way to get rid of the negative nagging thoughts is to just get the job done. If you’re looking to go down the self storage route and you’re wondering where to begin, how about having a chat with one of our team members who will be able to help you answer any questions you may have.
5) A happy brain: Our brains love order, so having an organised home or workspace will encourage positive thoughts and emotions.
If you’ve read this far, it means you’re definitely serious about decluttering your life. Don’t put it off until tomorrow, begin today by either filling up 1 entire rubbish bag with stuff you need to dispose of or donate to charity OR create a list and dedicate 10 minutes to decluttering today! If you decide you’d prefer putting your stuff in storage, learn more about the self storage process.